No good writing resource is complete until there’s an article on Writer’s Block. As all writers likely come across this hurdle at some point during their career I felt it might be helpful to share some ideas on how to overcome it.
I write all the time so these should be taken in due seriousness:
- Read a book from a different genre you write in.
- Research an archaic skill for at least two hours.
- Learn a new language, or rather a select few phrases you would not use in everyday conversation.
- Find an obscure word and draw a picture of an animal you think would best represent it.
- Stick said picture to your fridge.
- Alternatively stick said picture to someone else’s fridge and demand they appreciate your talent as an artist.
- Go visit a park / castle / town you have never been to before. Optional side quest: buy a bag of chips (fries to any American readers) or an ice cream if there are no chip shops available.
- Play a good RPG.
That should get you through the next few days and hopefully the Writer’s Block will have resolved itself by then. If it hasn’t then head on over to a proper writing website with actual helpful advice!
If you have any tricks or habits when it comes to beating Writer’s Block please share them in the comments.
Happy writing x